Thursday, June 28, 2012

Parade Marshal

My life of obligations is getting more complicated, but I think I can do it. Not, of course, without a ton of whining, but we’ve all come to expect that, anyway. Suffer in silence, as our kids always say. Yeah, right. I’ve been asked to be the marshal for the big Old Home Day parade, which is a big deal in this town. The current marshal wants to step down because he’s got tons of other commitments, which is true. The guys does a lot in this town, I understand his reasoning.

What I don’t understand is, why me? The marshal directs that participants in the parade, so he has to juggle everyone’s wants and needs while trying to keep the peace. Apparently, there is some jostling and competition for where someone ends up in the parade order, which sort of baffles me, but I sort of understand. The frailty of the human ego is hard to reconcile at times.

I also got a call from the town manager making the same request, and I asked for some time to think about it. It’s a commitment of approximately two hours every year, but you have to deal with numerous people and be an authority figure, which I’m not always so good at because I want everyone to be happy, and hat never happens.

Oh well, we’ll see where this one goes. Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Tom Kaszuba for the pic.

No comments: