Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Trip to Capital (DCF Award) and the Day That Never Ends

File this under “How do I get myself into these things?”, but this week we headed up to Montpelier to sit in on the Dorothy Canfield Fisher (DCF) award ceremony, and I ended up being the adult in charge. The original plan was for the kids in the book group to head up there because they are in actuality a DCG book club, so this event had special meaning. Also, the winner, Smile, is a great book, but an unusual selection in that it’s a graphic novel. I’m all for it, I love graphic novels.

Either way, AM said she was going up and that four kids could ride up with here. There are six kids in the group, so we had to decide who was going. This process was made easier when three of them couldn’t make it, opening the door for N to jump in. He’s not an official part of the group, but he has been joining in, and in a cool twist, read the book in anticipation of the event. He even went to the library and put a hold on it so he could read it. How cute is that?

We were supposed to meet at that library at 8:30 on the day of the event, but plans got changed, and suddenly I was being asked to do the driving and sit in on the meeting. I was going to go because AM was nice enough to include N with the group, but I figured I’d drive N up, they’d go to the event, and I could hang out in Montpelier in a coffee shop smoking Gauloise while discussing existential poetry. No such luck.

I was now the man in charge. CH would usually be the person to take the reigns in these situations, she always does, but due to extenuating circumstances, she couldn’t do it. She did, however, offer the use of her van, which was very cool. It would make the trip more fun and comfortable.

It was a rainy miserable day but we weren’t going to let it dampen our spirits. We piled into the van, picked everyone up, and headed north. It’s about an hour drive, but when kids are hanging together with gadgets and the radio, it seems to pass fairly quickly, though there was some heated discussion about what music we were going to listen to. CH had his GPS so there was no chance that we were going to get lost (yeah, right). We arrived early, which was a good thing, because the place was packed, and we scored some good seats.

The presentation was actually really nice, even if I was probably the only adult in the place that wasn't a librarian, all of whom seemed to know one another. The author, Raina Telgemeier, is a young, hip writer/illustrator from San Francisco who now lives in NYC. What I liked about her talk was that she first went over her inspirations and then talked at length about the writing process, which is really fascinating when you’re talking about cartooning. It’s so different from writing only prose. Plus, her drawings are fun and whimsical, though her style seems fairly popular amongst the new generation of cartooners.

Afterward she fielded questions, and then everyone was allowed to come up and meet her or take a picture with her. Of course I didn’t bring the camera, but ES saved the day with her iPod, which has a camera. Afterward our next big adventure was not only finding a pizza place in Montpelier, but deciding what kind of pizza to get. At some point you have take charge and just tell the kids this is how it’s going to be.
We then drove home after a long day. Believe me when I tell you it was Miller Time. We did get to hang out at the H’s house and see their new pup, who is really cool. Something about Lab pups that just melts your heart, though in the presence of all these new faces, he did get a little worked up.

We returned the van, got our car, and then headed home to do two more things. I still had to make supper, and then N had lacrosse that evening. How’s that for packing it in? Since we had little in the way of time, I made spaghetti with meat sauce (now that we’re eating meat again), and then we went to lacrosse. I saw DB at the field who once again asked me why A is not playing on the girls team. I told him to ask her himself, it’s out of my hands (more on this later).

During practice, we ran over to the store to get OJ, which was on sale at Mac’s (what a score), then to Woodstock H&H to get cat liter for all our paint waste.

Boy, what a day. You don’t realize it when you’re in the midst of it, but afterward you look back and say to yourself, “I can’t believe it’s not butter.”

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to The Eggplant and mroach for the pics.

No comments: