Monday, June 11, 2012

To Coach or Not to Coach

As if that were even a question. When it comes to hockey, duty calls, and you have little to no choice but to submit. I helped out last year coaching N’s team, and it was easy because being the hockey neophyte, the expectations were low enough to make it pretty stress free. Just lace up your skates and stand around. This time around, if I choose to do so (as if I had a choice), it might be in more of an official capacity, which means that I’ll have to register and stand up and be counted.

In certain ways, this is a good thing, because it’s good to get up off your rear end and be involved. Make a difference in your kid’s lives, right? On the other hand, I’d rather lay on the couch and read a good book. Is that too much to ask? Clearly it is. Hockey is an unusual sport because it requires a certain level of committment above and beyond most other sports. As a result, being a coach is no simple thing, and you see it in at practice. The coaches are so dedicated, and the practices are pretty serious. Not in a bad way, because the kids have fun and love it, and they’re learning a lot about hard work and dedication, but from a parent’s POV, it’s pretty impressive, if not intimidating. I, for one, sit on the sidelines and am in awe at how hard they work.

In fact, it’s this level of intensity that makes me feel bad when I just sit around and watch. How can you not want to help? It’s a lot of fun, but the time needed to be there is difficult, especially when you have two kids playing. I’m thinking I’m going to do it, but it will probably result in a certain level of whining on my part, much of which will be expressed in this blog. Then again, what else is new?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to striatic for the pic.

No comments: