Wednesday, June 20, 2012

My Hockey Team

In a matter of a couple of weeks, summer hockey begins, and even though I have a load of trepidation and little in the way of hockey experience, I decided to go for it. Life’s too short to worry about these things, right? Plus, it’s better to regret what you have done than what you haven’t done. Words to live by.

I was encouraged by several of my hockey parental brethren to sign up for adult hockey, because almost all of them, moms and dads alike, seem to play hockey. I also knew some of the players in my learn-to-play class, and I figured if they could do it, why not me? Finally, RA&N were behind me, probably due to some familial obligation to stand by their dad, but still supportive, nonetheless. Now a lot of people play adult hockey because they have friends who play and they arrange for them to join their respective teams, but I felt a little awkward asking people whom I didn’t really know that well to let me join them. Most of my friends who play are good enough to be in the big leagues, they don’t dabble in bush league play like myself.

So I signed up as a “free agent,” and was told by DF that they had enough free agents to make up an entire team. We’re called the Anklebenders, and for the life of me, I can’t think of a better name to drive absolute fear into the hearts of our opponents. What’s crazy is that the ice is coming in this week, and our season starts next week. Time for all the real men (and women-it’s coed) to step up. This should be good.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to one light for the pic.

No comments: