Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Feeling Groovy, I Think

We’ve been eating our healthier white-less diet for about two weeks now, and I’m not sure if I feel better, but I do good about our decision. By white-less, I mean no white foods like dairy, sugar, potatoes, and white bread. It’s not easy, but it’s not impossible, either. The biggest issue is lack of sugar, but more on that later.

Now we are bread loving family, and it’s tough to beat a freshly baked loaf of white bread ciabatta or sourdough, with tons of butter, but we’re doing it. For R and I, it’s not so bad because we’ve not only been there, done that, but we’re old enough to feel the effects of good or bad health. For kids, it’s tougher, though I think with time and practice, they get used to certain ways of doing things. It may be difficult to cut back on sugar at first, but eventually they stop craving it.

We’ve been eating a lot of dark chocolate, and I now love the stuff. The key is to get good dark chocolate, with a good flavor and mouth-feel. A lot of the organic stuff is like wax, and some dark chocolates have too much bitterness and even a sour flavor. Maybe if you’re an expert, you go for that, but I like my dark chocolate smooth. So far, the ones I like best are Godiva and Divine. Lake Champlain is good, and Green and Blacks has good texture, but it’s a little bitter. I like Perugina, but they use artificial vanilla, which I’m not a big fan of. I’ve only touched the surface of all the brands, so the adventure continues.

I think I’ve been sleeping more, and I don’t know if it’s linked to diet, but I do feel less exhausted all the time. Granted, I’ve been doing more karate/biking and ultimate, so it’s possible my energy levels are higher, contributing to overall feelings of vitality. The one thing that’s holding back is my darn sciatica, which I may seek professional help for.

All in all, we’re doing okay. Less meat, more fish, and no white stuff. The biggest change I’m happy about is less (none if possible) dairy. Something about drinking all that milk that doesn’t sit well with me, though I don’t think we can completely live without ice cream.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to BirdlandCreations for the pic.

No comments: