I had six plants to plant, and I spent the previous week clearing weeds, which was not an easy job. They were so overgrown that they required some serious effort to pull out. It helps that the plot is on the smaller side because it’s not as disheartening to see. Our house garden is so big that once the weeds take over, the magnitude of the challenge crushes your spirit. Our plot is a fraction of the size of our garden, and it still took a lot of effort.
Anyway, I dug the holes, tossed in some compost, planted the tomatoes, then covered them up. It was so simple that I was thinking I was doing something wrong. JM said to put some straw over it if you can to prevent blight, which apparently originates from the soil. There wasn’t much left but I used what I could find.
I then scrounged up some tomato cages and we were all set. There’s still room for more stuff, so I might seek out more tomatoes. I know they’re out there, I just need to ask around.
Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to ecoyardfarmer for the pic.