Friday, June 1, 2012

We Meat Again

Since we’re cutting out the fun stuff in our dieting life, i.e. white food (bread, potatoes, dairy, sugar-ouch!), meat is not such a bad thing, after all. For the record, you can’t go through childhood not eating ice cream and sugar, it’s really about avoiding it as much as possible.

We were on a meat reduction kick for a bit, but now we’re back on the meat wagon, and it definitely makes meal planning a bit easier. We will still try to reduce red meat, and even when we do eat chicken or beef, it won’t be on a regular basis. Fish will remain a mainstay, though tilapia has fallen from the ranks of the chosen.

The beauty of this approach is that it’s not completely alien to how we eat, which is heavy on fruits and veggies, whole wheat stuff instead of white flour, and less meat. We ate a fair amount of cheese when we were going meatless, but we’ll cut back on that, and we stopped drinking milk entirely. I feel good about that. No potatoes is a bit trickier, and the sugar reduction is like torture, but you do what you gotta do. Goodbye Hershey’s, hello Green and Black’s.

I will say this: six months ago you couldn’t pay me to eat dark chocolate, I hated the stuff. It was milk chocolate or nothing pour moi. However, since I’ve reduced my sugar intake, dark chocolate has grown on me, and now I love the stuff. Maybe it’s because something is better than nothing, but now I’ve become discriminating about my brands. How’s that for pretentious?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to :Eureka: for the pic.

No comments: