Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Dodging a Bullet

Have you ever, in an effort to save a few bucks, done something you didn't feel right about doing and it came back to slap you in the face? Well, it almost happened to us. We took the kids to see Tales of Despereaux at the multi-plex the other night. Personally, I prefer the Nugget, because not only is it smaller and cozier, but they use real butter on the popcorn.

Either way, we had some dispute about getting popcorn at the show, and finally it was decided that we'd sneak in our own snacks. Though I personally think it's a little tacky, not to mention a pain, that was the plan. Besides, I like movie popcorn, it's greasy and disgusting and part of the movie going experience.

Well, as soon as we got our tickets and got in line, we see the big sign that says that they reserve the right to confiscate snacks that they catch you with in the theatre. I figured we could be coy about it and wait until the lights went out before we started chowing, but the guy taking tickets told me I couldn't bring in my backpack. What? I told him I needed to tell my wife that I'd be a little late, and when I told her, she had the brilliant idea of me slipping the stuff to her since we were already inside. I said no, it was too obvious, everyone was watching and this had gone far enough. I'm sure she was thinking what a wimp I was.

Not wanting to make a stink, I left it behind the counter and that was that. The kids (more so A, I don't think N cared one way or another) were bummed, but such is life. Well, once we were inside, the family right next to us broke out their store bought snacks that they had brought in with them and were having a party. My wife shook her head and said, "See!"

Well, before the movie even started, the usher came in and caught them. He made a bit of a scene in front of everyone, took their snacks, and I breathed a huge sigh of relief that we hadn't tried to do the same. Truth be told, they probably could have pulled it off if they had been more discrete and waited, but what are you going to do?

I realize it costs that much more to buy popcorn inside, but it's so much reminds me of my childhood where my parents were always too cheap to pay for anything and we were always sneaking things in or grabbing up freebies. It was embarrassing then, and it embarrasses me to no end now. It just isn't worth it, if you ask me.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

1 comment:

BookChook said...

I'm the kind who slinks in with a bottle of water in her bag. I don't do coke or popcorn and I really resent them trying to make me.

But I am so GLAD you didn't get caught. It would have been good fodder for a story though!