Saturday, January 24, 2009

Involved Dads

I saw something cool on the slopes yesterday. A father was spending the day teaching his daughter how to ski. Now don't get me wrong, I know how hard it is to teach your kids how to do something, and I can completely appreciate how much more effective paying for lessons can be, but it just seemed cool to me that he was taking the time to do it. And she was clearly making strides.

It dawned on me that those two would have a lifetime of memories learning to ski together, and isn't that cool?

Not a very common thing in this day and age, and I understand why, but how cool is it when you can pull it off? Kudos to the dad for having the patience and wherewithal to do it. You really don't see that too often.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

2 comments:

BookChook said...

I totally agree. I know my own strongest memories of my dad are the rare times we spent together. I also know that I can never just leave the garden hose lying on the ground. Each time I loop it up onto the hanger, i grin at myself and think of Dad.

phredude said...

Hi Susan, It's true, the memories of what we did with our fathers are with us forever, but they seem to be getting less common as people are busier than ever and somehow parents have left teaching their kids things to other, more "qualified" professionals, rather than doing it themselves. They then lose out on not only the experience of bonding with their kids, but gone are the memories. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's not about ease or efficiency, it's about being involved in their lives. Thanks for dropping by.