Tuesday, January 13, 2009

More Lessons in Freelance

I've managed to knock off a few of the items that have been really bugging me and am working my way towards freelance nirvana, a state I may very well never achieve, but at least it's good to set some goals. Then again, it still amazes me that people get paid to write, how exactly does that work?

Part of the problem I face is that in being a newbie, nobody knows who are what I am. Then again, I don't know who or what I am. The process of establishing oneself in a new environment can be a long and winding road, especially when you are hard pressed to squeeze in a free moment of time. It ain't easy, but nobody said being a parent/writer/real man in training would be.

My initial goal at sending out queries has crashed and burned, and though it was limited in it's scope, I did have hope. Dare I say, I kind of thought they were sure things. I mean, really, they were calling for submissions, what more do they want. In the end, I can't whine about it. I guess I can whine, but what a waste of time.

So on to plan B. Like my good friend the Book Chook suggested, I might have to start doing things on spec, and I've got to expand my reach for potential suitors, and I've got to throw myself out there if anybody is going to notice me. Not unlike throwing myself under a snowplow, and not as fun. In the meantime, I feel like it behooves me to maintain my current projects to show that I've got the stamina and wherewithal to maintain some semblance of production. Does that make any sense at all?

One thing you really get used to in this field is rejection, but I'll take rejection over being completely ignored. Such is the life of an aspiring writer.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: