Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Still Being a Dick, Sort Of

There are days when I feel like my efforts to curb my anger and surliness are getting me nowhere, and unfortunately, my kids are the unlucky recipients. Though I'm well aware of my shortcomings, and it helps to be able to apologize and talk things through with them, I can't help but think that when I'm stressed and short with the kids that some level of resentment is building in them. Then again, that's the life of a parent.

I realize it's important to always keep in mind that the job of a parent is not to just be there best friend, but you can't help wanting someone whom you love to love you back. Either way, I'm still working on it. Suffice it to say that it's at the forefront of my consciousness, but is one of the more deeply embedded buttons, on perhaps one that is unchangeable? I'd like to think not.

Life sure is more pleasant when you're not angry, though I might add that kids don't help when they challenge you to no end and push you to the limits of your tolerance, especially when they're too smart for their own good at times. Then again, I'm glad they're confident, because it's a rough world out there.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: