Sunday, January 4, 2009

Plugging Away

I recently expressed some disappointment about my possible writing venues, and I wanted to clarify that I am bummed that certain things haven't worked out as I planned, but wanted to say that I'm not in despair. After all, as any writer knows, rejection and disappointment are a way of life. If anything, they're the norm, and if you can't deal with it, than you're in the wrong field.

My biggest problem is I tend to look for the path of least resistance (can you blame me?), and the easy way out is not always, if ever, the most satisfying. In the end, I need to focus on the writing that means the most to me, and do my best in those areas, rather than sweat over worrying about the small stuff. Sure, I'll do my best, but I can't lose focus on the big picture, and need to deal with it and just do it.

With that in mind, I confess that I was bummed that AC didn't pan out as I had hoped, but I was the one who dropped the ball on that one, and the truth is, they'll still take my stuff, just won't pay me for it. So I have to allocate my time accordingly, i.e., I can't spend weeks writing a piece for them. It just doesn't make sense.

I will say this-I've made a new friend in my rantings, and for that I'm grateful. When you get a chance, check out the Book Chook for some valuable and thoughtful insight into the world of children's literature. You won't regret it, it's a great place to get some advice about books for kids and to share your own thoughts, keeping in mind that your kids cannot read too much!

The reality is, I know what I need to do, and I know that I'll stumble and face assorted obstacles, many of them, too many to count, along the way, but it's all part of the process, and if anything, it builds character and forces you to find value in what you're doing. You never appreciate the things that are handed to you, so sometimes a little freebie now and then can't hurt.

And most importantly, you have to enjoy the process. Find value in what you're doing, rather than focusing only on the end result, because as Henry Miller said, writing, like life, is a journey of discovery. For me, the only way to realize this is to be open to all the possibilities, both good and bad.

With that in mind, I think I'll go work on my query letters. Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: