Thursday, January 22, 2009

Just Dealing With It

I may or may not have mentioned this, but I'm sick, which makes not just parenting tougher, but getting out and doing things, especially in the cold. I will, however, say this-even when I feel awful, there are things that need to be dealt with outside, like shoveling snow or getting wood, and even in my sorry state, I usually feel much better when I'm outside in the fresh air. Somehow that speaks volumes to me.

Since we heat with wood, there is a constant need to fill the wood box. There's no way around that, but there are also activities for the kids, they can't stay inside all the time.

Speaking of which, we went ice skating yesterday and saw her school buddies. I have to confess, I'm glad she jives with such a diverse group of kids, and gets to experience the goods and bads. The guys seems to accept her on the ice, though yesterday they were playing rough in the snow and she didn't get to play with them. I stood back and watched, not interfering, like a good parent, though it did tug at my heart a little.

N, on the other hand, has shown a serious proficiency at hockey. He's a natural. The first time using a hockey stick and he was great. Good skating ability, he turns on a dime, and he's cute as heck to watch.

Not that I want to encourage it, but maybe he's a hockey player at heart.

The kids have not stopped talking about skiing, and we're planning on hitting the slopes tomorrow. Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: