Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inauguration w/the Kids

It was a truly historical moment in this country yesterday, and I thought it might be a good idea for the kids to at least see it on TV. So I contacted K&A and asked them, while they were at work, if we could sneak into their house and watch it on TV. They said it was cool, so we drove over and settled in to watch.

Of course, they were bored out of their minds and probably got nothing out of it, but at least they can say they got to see Obama speak, and with me there to provide continual commentary, they might have gotten something out of it.

It made me realize, however, the difficulty in teaching kids about certain things, because it just doesn't speak to them. And why should it, they're just kids! Somehow forcing them to learn these things won't get them to retain or become passionate about them, and because of this, I didn't want to force the issue.

I'm glad we sat through it, though we almost bailed on the inauguration speech because they were bouncing off the walls. That, and K had come home early because he wasn't feeling well and just wanted to take a nap.

Either way, it was an experience, and one that my parents NEVER shared with me. We were always on our own, and consequently, things like this (i.e., politics, world affairs) never even grazed our radars.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: