Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Back Pain

I have been suffering from chronic back pain, and as anyone who suffers from any sort of chronic pain knows, it’s such a drag. A couple of years back I was skiing with the kids and foolishly followed N over several jumps and the next day I was in traction, the pain was so bad. After a few days I recovered, but certain aspects of my back were never quite the same. About six months ago, my left leg/sciatic nerve started to flair up, and it’s starting to become a constant thing.

The odd thing is, sitting down is what makes it flair up. I still play ultimate frisbee and run and ride my bike, and during these times it’s fine, but when I sit down, the pain starts up. Actually, it hurts when I stand up from sitting down. What a bummer. I’ve tried all sorts of stretching exercises, and have thus far avoided medication, but in the end, all it takes is sitting down for the pain to return.

I think I’ll go see a doctor, because it isn’t showing any signs of abating. Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to renochiropractic for the pic.

10 comments:

Wendell Palmer said...

Have you tried seeing a chiropractor? What they do is they manipulate the spine to relieve the inflamed nerves, thus, relieving the pain. It’s great to see that you are doing some exercises for your back. Just make sure that you are completely aware of your condition and that those exercise will not make the pain worse.

Darlene Fanning said...

I agree with Wendell. You should really see a chiropractor immediately and avoid taking too many pain killers. It is a good idea to do some exercises, although you should really be careful. Having a back problem may be a sign that your back is sensitive to extreme forces so don’t push it too hard. If your back hurts while you exercise, then, maybe it’s not for you. One wrong move may hurt your spine, so be very wary of your actions and activities.

phredude said...

Dear Wendell and Darlene,

Thanks for the advice. I'll continue with the exercises and will go to see a chiropractor or PT. As for painkillers, I'm not a fan and don't want to rely on them. Thanks for your thoughtfulness and take care.

nj chiropractors said...

Thanks for the post. I had been looking for something related and found your web site in the process.. I will definitely be back for more.

Kelly Nell said...

I hear you. Back pains can be excruciating at times. The pain can be unbearable that it dampens your mood and hampers your daily activities. But you can do some self-care at home. One advice is to sleep lying on your back with a pillow under your knees. This can increase comfort and provide sufficient back support while you sleep. Also, do some exercise that would strengthen your back muscles. And like what Wendell and Darlene said; a visit to a qualified chiropractor can help you ease the pain and remedy your back alignment.

back pain treatment nj said...

Lots of Good information in your post, I favorited your blog post so I can visit again in the future, Thanks.

nj physical therapists said...

Thank you for the fantastic article. The place else could anyone get that kind of info in such a perfect means of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am at the search for such information.

best Fairfax chiropractor said...

I think you are right you may need to consult a doctor or a physical therapist to help you with this problem. As of now, buy antiflammatory drugs that may reduce the pain that you feel.

back pain Fairfax said...

Stress can also be a probable cause of back pain and this is my case before. There are lots of treatment you can choose but few are really helpful and effective.

Rachel said...

Yes, try to look for chiropractor. They might be a big help to ease your back pain. It helps me a lot.

Best regards,
Rachel
seattle chiropractors