Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Working the Garden and Attacked

I finally made it over to our garden to clear some weeds, and it was quite the adventure. For the record, I’m excited about the possibilities. Now my plan to clear the weeds was compromised by our busy schedules as well the poor weather we’ve been having. Non-stop rain, though I guess I could always pull weeds out of the mud. I’m just being a wimp, not good for a real-man in training.

Either way, the kids were at story hour and the weather had finally abated. I went over with a weed tool and trowel and went to work. I also brought along my carpenter’s knee pads to get down and dirty, or at least down, but not dirty. I managed to weed about half the plot, and felt good about that. At the trustee meeting, SG commented that she saw I had finally gotten some of the weeds cleared. Vindication is a beautiful thing.

One funny that happened was while I was weeding, I was attacked by ants. I must have disrupted their nest, and since I was on my hands and knees, they had easy access to my flesh, and proceeded to bite me. I felt a stinging sensation on my legs and looked down and saw the assault. It was a little unnerving, though you have to give them credit. When faced with an ominous adversary who is thousands of times bigger, they don’t back down.

I had to take off my knee pads and clean myself off, and continued to work in a squat position rather than on my knees, which was a lot harder on my back, but what are you going to do? This is the price you pay when you want fresh tomatoes.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Chiot's Run for the pic.

No comments: