Wednesday, May 23, 2012

One Car Family

In a throwback to our first four years living up here, we are down to one car, and it definitely forces us to be a little more creative and thoughtful about our day. About a month ago our mechanic was putting the snow tires into the Honda and being the burly manly man that he is, pushed too hard and put a dent in the hood. He was completely up-front about it and said he’d pay for the repair, giving us the name of his auto-body guy. The only problem is, the guy is that it’s a bit of a trek to get to this guy. I’m guessing they have a long running relationship, but I couldn’t help but wonder if there were body work guys closer. Oh well, I can’t complain, he’s footing the bill.

The place is about 20 miles away, out in the boonies in Perkinsville. I’d never been to Perkinsville, much less heard of it, and when we drove out there, once again I was convinced that we were lost until we arrived there. We had to take the car over for him to assess the repair, make an appointment, and then take the car back to do the actual repair. On the way over, R had to follow, and she said later that she was convinced that I was lost. I can’t say I blame her.

Interestingly enough, on the way back home, I realized that we could pull it off on small side roads, and the drive is rather interesting because you go through small towns that you would normally never drive through. I rather enjoy that. Either way, we took the car in on Sunday night, and we’ve been with only one car since. Like I said, it forces us to be a little more creative with our time. Fortunately, R has flexibility at work, so she’s been doing some stuff at home. Also, A’s track is over, and the only place we have to be is lacrosse. In that sense, the timing is not bad.

We’re supposed to get the car back soon, so that will be nice, but for now, it reminds me a bit of when we first moved up here and only had one car. That was a challenge, and not an easy way to go for me and the kids because we were trapped at home with nowhere to go. The kids were young at the time so they didn’t make much of a stink, but I’m not sure how that would work out today. Then again, you do what you have to do, right?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Doug88888 for the pic.

No comments: