Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Command Performance

This past weekend A had her guitar recital, and she did a stand up job. I’m grateful to EE for arranging these low pressure gigs and giving her a chance to perform and do solos. He’s so supportive. The show was in the main gallery at AVA, and it’s a beautiful space. There was a new exhibit that had some cool art work, as well.

There was a large group performing, I’d say about 30 kids, and being the shameless dad that I am, A was the only one who played a solo and sang. She did a great job, as well. I know it bugs her when I continually make her practice, but it’s important not only for the sake of the show, but it’s an important lesson for her to know that life is not all about having fun and requires doing things she doesn’t always feel are easy or necessary, and for that matter, desirable. To her credit, she doesn’t put up a huge fight when ask her to practice. I think it showed, because she played well. The previous show she didn’t practice diligently and she was a little sloppy, and I hope she made the connection between that and her lack of practicing. This time around, I wasn’t sure she would be inspired enough, so I had to intervene and be drill sergeant dad. As I mentioned, once they get started, both A&N enjoy playing.

A played a Nirvana song, Come As You Are, and she did such a nice job. She even had a guitar solo in there. So cool.

After the show, we were starving and headed over to Boloco for a burrito feast. Man did that hit the spot. We missed out on UF, which is a bummer, but it was a nice evening and we had lots of fun after a job well done. That’s what life is all about, right?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to pataphile for the pic.

No comments: