Wednesday, May 23, 2012

He Shoots, He Scores

N had a great lacrosse game this week, and it was a blast to watch. They were playing Hartford for the umpteenth time, and on their home turf. Naturally we saw many of our friends out there, and the weather was nice. It had been hot all day, and there was a threat of thunder storms, but it worked out nicely because the clouds came in and cooled things off but the rain and thunder never materialized. I’m grateful for that.

A decided to come along and watch. I’m not sure if she’s so into lacrosse, but she’s at that age where she might be more inclined to check out the older boys who play right after N. She’s mentioned a few names, but I’ll leave it at that. Personally I think she’s still young for all that, but some of her friends are boy crazy, so that’s going to rub off on her to some degree.

Anyway, before the game, the coach shifted N to defense. I’m not sure why, but I did notice that there was a new goalie, and the usual goalie was put in at striker, so that is part of the reason N shifted. I don’t know if it will be a regular thing, but whatever be the case, N might not have been completely thrilled with the change, but he still had fun. Best of all, N scored a goal, and an amazing one at that. He carried the ball all the way down field and fired a shot. As you can imagine, I was beside myself.

From what I can gather, defensemen don’t score that much in lacrosse. It’s not like hockey, where defensemen can be a team’s leading scorer. In lacrosse, players maintain their position and don’t really leave their zone. N was in the defensive zone when he picked up the ball and started running. He ran past defenders, who were all trying to get that ball, and carried it all the way to the other goal and took the shot. He’s got a pretty forceful shot, and it zipped past the goalie and in. It was incredible. I was screaming, I was so excited. Now I don’t know much about lacrosse, but I think as N gets older, if he is still interested in the game, he could be a good mid-fielder, but that’s just my opinion.

After the game, walking to the car, I told N that his goal was sweet, so much so that I wanted to use the f-word to accentuate my excitement, but I refrained. Good thing, too, because that always comes back to haunt me.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Doug88888 for the pic.

No comments: