Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Garden Almost Ready

Last week during story hour, I spent about 2 hours weeding our garden plot, and I think I’m about 75% done. I had worked on it about a week before, and figured it was about half done, but when I showed it to N, he said it was more like 1/3. Thanks a lot. That’s what happens when you’re surrounded by people who are good at math.

The work is hard, the weeds are deeply entrenched, and unlike years past, I’m not just turning them over, I’m pulling them out. The root networks for some of these weeds is extensive, if not a bit impressive, and takes some serious effort to dislodge. Needless to say, the work is slow, and small areas suddenly seem vast when you’re on your knees pulling weeds. I did have a sudden insight, however, when I realized that it’s more effective to use a potato fork and unearth the stuff standing up. You just a lot more leverage than when you’re on your knees with a trowel.

I will say this, as much as I dislike weeding and gardening in general, it’s somewhat peaceful and satisfying getting some stuff done. It helps that the weather has been mild. In the past, the weeds came back with a vengeance because I only turned them over, but this time around, their rebound is somewhat tempered because I’m making more effort to pull the things out. They don’t rebound as a lawn, but more as individual stalks that can pulled out by hand.

Once the weeding is done, I’ll spread some compost, work it in, and then we’re ready to do some planting. This should be good.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to tobym for the pic.

No comments: