Thursday, May 31, 2012

New Karate Plan

The irony of being unable to make it to karate (and every writer lives for irony) is that I may end up practicing on my own even more than when I was attending regularly. In an ideal world, I would go to class and then practice being a killing machine every day. Knowing that is not going to happen, it would be nice if I could practice at least a few days in between, but that doesn’t seem to happen, either.

The reality is, I know what I need to practice, and the skills all boil down to repetition to the point where they become instinctual. Wax-on, wax-off, as Mr. Miyagi said. If anything, going to class is about learning new skills and getting tested, but the core set of knowledge needs to practiced on your own time. This, of course, requires that you want to do it, and discipline and self-motivation are keys to this process. Only then will you be ready, grasshopper.

Now that I’m not going to class, I realize that it is that much more important to practice on my own, so I have been more motivated. It’s nice because the stretching is good for my back, and I get a good workout from it. Plus, I feel I’m getting that much closer to becoming a lethal killing machine. If I practice even once or twice a week, I’m still doing better than I had in the past, so it’s a win-win situation.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to AchoSan for the pic.

No comments: