Monday, May 7, 2012

No Turning Back

It’s funny how things work out, but now it looks as if we are committed to doing a plot in the community garden. This all began as a simply inquiry into availability, because we have not been overwhelmingly successfully in our garden endeavors thus far. Part of it because we have been overwhelmed with other commitments (farmer’s market, kid’s activities), but also because at some point we just get defeated by nature. It’s been known to happen.

At least for me, the weeds just take over, and I, for one, just can’t deal with them anymore. Granted, I’m not the most patient person in the world, but no amount of diligence is enough to take on those weeds. They’re simply tenacious, and I just give up. I think I need to get on my hands and knees to deal with and dedicated huge blocks of time and sanity, and I just don’t think I have it in me.

Furthermore, we are pretty much nestled in the woods, so it stands to reason that we don’t get enough sun. Sure enough, our crops are not overwhelming, our tomatoes don’t seem to ripen properly and our corn is small and sickly looking, so location could very well be an issue. It makes perfect sense.

Anyway, I thought a smaller plot would work out better, because our garden is pretty big. Plus, being in the community garden will shame us into compliance, because our efforts, or lack thereof, will be in plain view of our friends and neighbors. Finally, I’ve been told the community garden gets scorching amounts of sunlight. Say no more.

I have to confess, I think it’ll be more fun for the kids to be working in the community garden, and I’m excited about the idea. Plus, we’re there all the time for other activities, so it’s not a stretch for us to simply walk over and do some maintenance. We shall see.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to ACPin for the pic.

No comments: