Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Track Confusion

I’ve mentioned that I think this is a bit of a bummer, but the 5th graders don’t get to compete in track anymore, their season is short, even though the rest of the kids will continue to race. I understand the reasoning behind it and won’t carry on, but I figured A could just continue going to practice. Then she told us that another kid had told her that they weren’t supposed to go to practices anymore, either.

My first thought was, don’t assume anything until you hear it from the coach. With that in mind, we went about our lives as usual, but at story hour, ES wasn’t there. Maybe she went to practice, and suddenly the notion that we were missing it entered into our minds. According to the schedule, there was a practice, and we didn’t know if the kid who said 5th graders were done knew what they were talking about. I emailed KS and inquired, but didn’t hear from her until the next day.

Well, as luck would have it, I was over at the gas station and ran into the coach, DS, who was heading to a track meet. He confirmed what the child in question said, and went on to say that A did a great job at the meet, and that she had really come along nicely. He specifically mentioned that she was doing well in terms of her form and technique. I have to confess, I was thinking the same thing, but it’s nice to hear it from someone who knows and whose opinion A actually takes to heart.

Now that we are clear on the status of track, we can get back to our normal lives, whatever that means.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to CameraGirlUSA for the pic.

No comments: