Monday, May 28, 2012

Fly Trapper

Every summer, it’s the same old song and dance. We get inundated with fruit flies, as well as house flies, but not as badly. We leave our doors open in the summer and it invites all sorts of wildlife into the house. It’s a good thing we have cats, because otherwise it would be like Wild Kingdom over here.

Now I had nothing against fruit flies because they are pretty harmless, they just bug the heck out of me. We eat a lot of fruit, and compost, so we have pieces of fruit lying around all the time. The fruit flies come out of nowhere and suddenly, there are several of them around the sink. You can’t catch them because they’re tiny, but I keep finding them in my OJ. I’ve tried fly paper, but they don’t stick to it. They are a little slower than house flies, so I decided to make a trap. It’s not perfect, but it works pretty well.

I simply take a yogurt container and deposit fruit leftovers into it. Within an hour the flies are all over it, so I quickly cover the cup and trap the flies. I then take them outside and release them. It sounds so archaic, but it works. In the past, when I came downstairs in the morning, the flies would bum me out, and now their numbers are greatly reduced. I’m still amazed how they keep showing up, but that’s what flies do, right?

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: