Friday, May 4, 2012

Getting Into Spring Sports

I wasn’t sure how spring sports were going to go over with out kids, but things seem to be working out nicely. I had a sense N would get a kick out of lacrosse because he’s a jock, but it was a little bit of an uncertain plunge in having A go out for track, especially since I’d heard the track coach is a bit of a tough cookie. Then again, A does okay in these situations, she doesn’t seem to take advice or constructive criticism in the wrong way unless it’s coming from me. Plus, she’s a good learner, so it could work out well.

In the beginning, I had heard that the track coach was a little tough. I know the guy and like him a lot, but can see how he can be a bit forthright in his assessment of things. I ruminated on this a lot, because I didn’t want A to get into something that would bum her out.

On the other hand, I do think kids benefit from some firm guidance and instruction, even if it’s not always warm and fuzzy. Not only is it good when they’re trying to learn something, but it’s also a good lesson in life in interacting with people who don’t always shower you with praise, i.e., mom and dad. Plus, he’s a good coach, and the proof is in the pudding, the track team does well. Finally, it’s a big group of kids, and if the experience was that awful, they wouldn’t be out there. A likes being around the kids and it helps to give her a group to identify with, which is important in those formative pre-teen years.

The reality is, A is enjoying it, and I think it’s good for her to challenge herself and get some serious exercise. This will help her when hockey season comes around. Speaking of hockey, DF reminds me a bit of DS, the track coach. They’re both excellent coaches but are also objective and firm, but not in a bad way. I don’t know about the track kids, but he hockey kids love DF, he’s good at inspiring them and teaching them to be good people. These are invaluable lessons not only in a game, but in life, as well. Somehow we are too soft on our kids, and they often need a firm hand to guide them. This is without question the job of mom and dad, but it helps when external forces teach some good lessons, especially in light of the fact that kids get tired of hearing their parents lecturing them. Coaches just have more clout.

Lacrosse has thus far been going well, N enjoys it, though I sense that hockey still has a more prominent place in his heart. I know it does in mine, but nobody cares what I think. I spoke with DE about the equipment and he was really cool about it changing ownership, much thanks to him for that. I will say this, it’s much easier to gear up for lacrosse than hockey, but man oh man, you just can’t beat skating on the ice, it changes everything.

We have been making it to lacrosse practice at the expense of karate and piano/drums, which is a total bummer, but CH and JB have been really cool about it, and if anything, it’s saving me some money. I think this will put a crimp on our karate test, however, and I’m not sure how that’s going to work. I’ll have to talk to Master H about that. I’m glad, however, that the kids are enjoying their sports, and for N, a large part of that is having a cool uniform that he gets to keep. Mission accomplished.

Plus, the weather is getting warmer, so it’s easier for me to sit out there and not freeze my you-know-what off. Last week the girls started practicing, so we saw our friends the Es out there, which is really cool. Also, because it was warmer, it was almost like a party out there, so many people. N is finding his lacrosse groove because he is beginning to practice his game in his free time and he is clearly nurturing certain skills. It’s always cool to see.

All in all, things are good. There are more practices than I envisioned, and I think the only way we’ll make it to karate and piano/drums is to forsake lacrosse or track, but I’m not sure how well that will go over. We may just have to live with the current situation.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Phil Roeder and [bmw] for the pics.

No comments: