Wednesday, May 30, 2012

New Lids

In a good example of how life’s all about the little (and trivial) details, I found one piece plastic lids for our Mason jars, and it pleased me to no end. We tend to use the jars for all sorts of purposes, including storage of dry foods (beans, grains), as well as holding beverages. I try to avoid plastic. The big issue I have is with the lids, which have two pieces. For canning, this makes perfect sense, but for every day use, I find it to be a pain having a two piece lid that always comes apart when you open it.

Now we found one piece lids. Granted, they’re plastic, but I feel that a plastic lid is better than a plastic container, less exposure, and they have no BPA. The one problem is that they leak, which is pretty serious when you get down to it, but I’ve found that by placing a regular flat mason lid (not the band) inside the plastic one, it forms an excellent seal because it has a gasket. It also reduces exposure to plastic, and it snaps in, so you don’t have to deal with two pieces.

I think we have a winner. Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: